4 full | 1 partial Est. Square Feet: 6,528
Listing # 17010518
Gippy Plantation, originally part of Fairlawn Barony was purchased by John White in 1821 and was named for the nearby swamp Gippy. The original home that was built burned and it is believed that the current structure was completed in 1858. This 3 story Greek Revival frame structure that boasts 6,528 square feet, sits on nearly five acres of land and comes equipped with seven bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms 11 fireplaces, 2 large parlors, a huge formal dining room, a cozy den/library, a spacious side porch, a double garage with a workshop, an old smoke house, a wash house and an 850 sq. ft. guest cottage. All of the rooms in the main house are magnificent in size and tongue and groove wood flooring as well as 12 ft. ceilings run throughout most of the home. The guest cottage located behind thehouse features a living room, one bedroom, one bathroom, a cozy kitchen eat-in kitchen and a spot for a stackable washer and dryer. Formal gardens accent the property and one of the gardens dates back to circa 1928 and is believed to have been the work of the acclaimed 20th century landscape architect Loutrel Briggs. In 1927 Nicholas G. Roosevelt acquired the property and turned the former rice plantation into a productive agricultural enterprise making it the site of "Gippy Dairy" which supplied milk products to schools and companies throughout the lowcountry. Gippy also earned a spot in recreational history by hosting the Pinopolis Lancing Tournament from 1952-1964. This tournament was important to Berkeley County and attracted spectators from all over the state as well as important political figures such as Governor Ernst F. Hollings. While Gippy has been enjoyed and loved throughout the years by the current owners it is time for a new family...a family that can restore and renovate this magnificent plantation home while preserving the history and nostalgia that Gippy has been so well known for throughout history. In 1982 Gippy was selected for the filming of several scenes for the movie Lords of Discipline and in 2016 the plantation house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The guest cottage sq footage is not part of the 6825 sq. ft.
PROPERTY INFORMATION FOR 366 AVENUE OF THE OAKS, MONCKS CORNER, SC 29461
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Charleston Trident Multiple Listing Service. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Carolina One Real Estate are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocity thumbnail logo (a little black house) and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers.
Information on this site is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Any use of the search facilities of data on this site, other than by a consumer looking to purchase real estate, is prohibited.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. The broker providing this data believes it to be correct, but advises interested parties to confirm information before relying on it for a purchase decision.
CTAR Residential data last updated at August 15, 2018 8:49 PM ET